By applying for a Climate & Energy Action Award you can showcase your community’s commitment and leadership in confronting climate change. All applicants will be recognized through a promotional video celebrating the Awards Nominees. This will be distributed widely through CEA’s communication channels and networks.
Each winner will also benefit from the following:
- Their project or program featured in an article in the December edition of Municipal World
- Recognition in a promotional video celebrating the Awards Winners that will be distributed during the Union of BC Municipalities Convention
- A press release for distribution
- A presentation to your community’s Council or Board
- Complimentary one-year membership at CEA
The Award program accepts applications from any municipality or regional district. The submission must represent a plan or action, with an emphasis on implementation. The Awards Judging Panel will assess applications based on the following:
- Demonstrated community leadership
- Energy or emission impact
- Best practices and innovation
To receive notification for updates on the Climate & Energy Action Awards please sign up to receive our e-news
Nominate your community for a Climate & Energy Action Award!
Is your community increasing the use of public transit, active transportation, or electric vehicles? Are you fostering energy-efficient new buildings and neighbourhoods? Are you advancing climate resilience and adaptation initiatives? Receive recognition for your work by applying for a Climate & Energy Action Award.
We are pleased to announce that CEA is now accepting nominations for the 2021 Awards Program! The deadline to apply is Monday, July 12th at 5:00 pm.
About the Awards
The Climate & Energy Action Awards showcase climate action in communities across British Columbia. We run this program because:
- We all need a space to celebrate the progress local governments are making in creating low carbon, resilient communities
- Big or small, urban or rural, north and south, we want to recognize all communities that are bringing innovative solutions to the table
- Recognizing where we’ve been, means we can look at where we are going in the 2020s: the decade of climate action
- Showcasing programs and projects with high impact solutions means that other communities can learn and replicate work that's already proving successful
Across the province, CEA recognizes and showcases innovative action taken by local governments through three categories of awards.
Community Planning & Development
This is the biggest category because the actions involved have the biggest impact community-wide. Winners of this category will take home the prestigious Climate & Energy Action Award Trophy. Projects and programs in this category include widespread planning and implementation of GHG-reducing solutions.
Previous winners include:
District of Saanich, 2020 Climate Plan: 100% Renewable & Resilient Saanich
City of Richmond, EV Ready Leadership, 2019
City of Victoria, All Ages & Abilities Bicycle Network, 2018
The Corporate Operations category profiles local governments that know how to “walk the walk” and are demonstrated leaders when it comes to implementing in their own work.
City of Powell River, Climate Action in a Small Coastal Town, 2020
Village of Granisle, Biomass Energy System, 2019
District of Hudson’s Hope, Solar Initiative, 2018
Climate Adaptation was added as a category in 2019, as an important way to recognize communities who are pushing the envelope in this growing field.
Cowichan Valley Regional District, Climate Risk Assessment Framework for Infrastructure, 2020
City of Surrey, Coastal Flood Adaptation Strategy, 2019
The Community Energy Association, BC Hydro, FortisBC, the Province of BC, the Real Estate Foundation of BC, and the Union of BC Municipalities were pleased to virtually present the winners and nominees for the 2020 Climate & Energy Action Awards. Read the press release here.