Tips or Suggestions for Improved Project Mgmt. & Outcomes …
* Pulling together a strong team to coordinate the project activities is very critical for me, creates opportunities to draw upon the individual strengths & expertise of each person involved with steering the project.
* Project lead needs to be familiar enough with the technical aspects of the project and/or easily able to draw upon expertise of the project mgmt. team and/or willing to share the load with other folks, ask for help along the way, & be receptive to feedback, concerns, input that is shared by folks involved with the project.
* Regular meetings/conversations to catch-up, trouble-shoot, & move things forward is critical, as I mentioned in my replies to Emily & Ryan. Given the remote location of Ft. Simpson, in the SW corner of the NWT, such meetings are often held over the phone, Skype, and using various conference calling/sharing techniques after having at least one or two initial meetings in-person to establish connections and momentum with the team I am working with.
* On the helpful tools side of project management, I am very pleased to be able to utilize the Electronic Mind-Mapping software created by MindGenius http://www.mindgenius.com/ … others are out there too Free Mind (open source software or other open sourced applications: http://www.top5freeware.com/mind-mapping-software-for-windows).
* Lastly, wherever possible, keep it simple, share roles/delegate to tap into each other’s strengths/passions, review progress regularly to keep things on track & adjust along the way, & most importantly, … HAVE FUN & celebrate your successes along the way & when the whole thing is over! 🙂